I used three different chillies here as I had them in on hand. You could just go with cayenne as they are more common.
|1 Pork Hock (1.8kg - yeild 750g meat)||1369||69||174|
|5 carrots, 1 inch pieces (288g)||118||0.7||28||3|
|5 celery, 1 inch pieces (391g)||55||0.7||13||3|
|3 onions, cut into 8ths (700g)||294||0.6||71||6|
|1 bulb garlic (45g)||67||0.2||15||3|
|2 dried cayenne peppers|
|3 dried d'Arbol peppers|
|2 dried japone peppers|
|6 bay leaves|
|6 cobs of corn (yeild 847g)||686||9||158||22|
|1 1/4 cup dried brown lentils (278g)||981||3||167||72|
|10 cups water|
Total: Calories: 3570, Fat: 83g, Carbs: 451g, Protein: 283
Yield 12, 2 cup servings
Per Serving: Calories: 298, Fat: 7g, Carbs: 38g, Protein: 24g
|Stock ready to go with chillies on top|
1. put the pork hock in a stock pot with the carrots, celery, onion, whole garlic cloves, dried peppers, bay leaves, corn cobs (after the kernels have been removed) and 10 cups water. Bring to a boil and let simmer until the pork hock falls apart, 3-5 hours depending on the size of your hock.
2. Remove the hock from the pot. Remove and discard the bay leaves. Strain the remaining stock reserving the vegetables and dried peppers.
|Shredded Pork Meat|
3. Refrigerate the stock allow the pork fat to solidify
|Stock with solidified pork fat|
4. Puree the vegetables and dried peppers, adding a little of the stock if necessary
5. Remove the meat from the hock and shred, discard the skin, fat & bones from the hock
6. Combine pork meat, stock & lentils in a soup pot. Bring to a boil & simmer until the lentils are soft.
7. Add the vegetable puree and reserved corn kernels and let stand for a few minutes. You may have to add some additional chicken stock or water.